Understanding PA Medicaid
Medicaid is a state and federal program that is designed for people who need health care. While a large percentage of Medicaid funds provide for the health care needs of pregnant women and children, the remaining funds provide care for the disabled and the elderly.
The federal government funds approximately 60 percent of the budget while the states pay for the remaining 40 percent. States also set the eligibility guidelines and the coverage that is provided. In Pennsylvania, people are able to enjoy great coverage through the long-term care options.
Pennsylvania Medicaid Eligibility
Eligibility for Medicaid in Pennsylvania is based on three criteria, including the following:
- Citizenship status
- Financial means
- Medical needs
- PA Medicaid Financial Requirements
The financial eligibility requirements for Pennsylvania Medicaid include the following:
- Those earning $2,199 per month or more have to spend down until they have $2,400 in liquid assets;
- People who earn less than $2,199 per month are allowed to retain $8,000 in assets
After a person is approved for Medicaid, his or her income will then go to the facility. Medicaid pays for the difference between the income and the cost of care. Countable income includes pensions, Social Security and other funds that come on a monthly basis. People are able to keep certain amounts from their monthly incomes, including the following:
- $45 monthly personal needs allowance that can be used in whatever way the recipient wishes
- Premiums for supplemental health insurance so that the policy can remain in effect
A dependent child or a spouse who remains in the community may be allowed to keep some or all of the Medicaid recipient’s income in some situations. Medicaid will verify the medical needs of the applicant. For medical eligibility, the applicant’s doctor and family members will need to complete some required forms. In some cases, the Department of Health may send a nurse to complete clinical testing.
How Elder Care Direction Can Help
At Elder Care Direction, we have an in-depth understanding of the regulations and rules that govern Medicaid in Pennsylvania. When small errors are made in the application process, there may be months of expensive care that are not covered. We can help you to avoid this scenario through careful planning. Some of the things that we can assist you with include the following:
- Five-year look-back period
- Determining the countable and excludable assets
- Spend-down rules
- Rules for the community spouse
- Irrevocable funeral trusts
- Gifts and transfers
We treat all of our Medicaid clients fairly. You will have a dedicated case manager who will be understanding and compassionate as he or she guides you through the complete process. We will continue working until your eligibility for Pennsylvania Medicaid has been approved. When you choose Elder Care Direction, we will do the following for you:
- Provide you with a free consultation about Medicaid
- Help you to gather 60 months of your financial and bank statements
- Help you to secure bank verifications for checks, cash withdrawals and deposits
- Help you through the spend-down procedure
- Help you to understand how to use excludable assets
- Assist you in liquidating stocks, annuities and life insurance policies
- Secure copies of documents from Vital Statistics
- Work with the County Assistance Office on your behalf
- Keep you updated about your application
- Submit your application to the County Assistance Office
Contact Elder Care Direction today to schedule your Medicaid planning consultation.
Our sites and services may provide access to independent attorneys, self-help services, including general information related to the law, and lawyers designed to help users safely cope with their own legal needs. Our sites and services also provide services to lawyers and other legal professionals.